Who can have a Direct Payment?

Anyone who needs help from Social Services and who is able to consent to receiving a direct payment and to manage it (although they can get help and support to do this on a daily basis).

Most disabled or older people and carers who have been assessed as needing support should be offered a direct payment by Wiltshire Council.  This includes:

  • People with physical and sensory impairment
  • People with learning difficulties
  • People with mental health issues
  • Older people
  • Carers who have been assessed as needing services
  • People with parental responsibility for a disabled child

If you think you qualify for a direct payment but have never had contact with Wiltshire Council’s Social Care Services then contact them to request an assessment.   If you already receive a service but would like a direct payment, you should contact the Council.  If you meet the eligibility criteria, you can ask for a direct payment at any time.  For Adult Social Care, telephone 0300 456 0111 and for Children & Young People’s Disability Team, contact 01249 707990.